The BCS6401 and BCS6402 battery charger/simulator and precision DC power supplies are optimized for testing batteries and battery-operated devices. Both models feature source/sink capabilities, a bipolar output, and variable output impedance to charge, discharge, or simulate batteries used in portable and wearable electronic devices.
The battery function can be set to charge, discharge, or simulator mode. In charge mode these instruments source power with configurable stop conditions. The output can be configured to provide electrical isolation from connected batteries preventing parasitic drain when charging is complete. In discharge mode, these instruments act as a load to sink power up to 150 W. These two modes are useful for battery charge-discharge cycle testing or evaluating charger circuits under load.
Device manufactures and design engineers are typically required to evaluate their products under a variety of battery conditions including different capacity and internal resistance levels. In simulator mode, the BCS Series offers control over these conditions with configurable capacity, voltage, and resistance (IR) points to evaluate device behavior under various simulated battery conditions.
This series also serves as a precision DC power supply with exceptional transient response times, high current readback resolution, and low ripple/noise characteristics due to its linear design. To handle rapid load changes, the fast output speed setting optimizes transient response time while minimizing overshoot and output recovery time. The single channel model delivers up to 150 W of output power while the dual channel model offers up to 45 W per channel or 90 W combined.
- Source or sink up to 150 W with 2-quadrant operation
- Dual channel and dual range operation (BCS6401 only)
- Perform battery charge, discharge, cycling, and simulation tests
- Bidirectional capabilities in battery mode to simulate a rechargeable battery
- Sink current up to 5 A
- Bipolar output
- Variable output impedance 0 Ω to 1 Ω
- Fast load recovery time < 30 μs to minimize overshoot
- Linear regulation with low noise < 3 mVpp
- High 100 nA current readback resolution
- List programming: Save 20 list mode programs with up to 30 steps each into internal memory
- Internal storage for 20 user-configurable battery charge and simulation profiles with up to 40 steps each
- 4.3-inch color TFT display
- Rear panel digital voltmeter (DVM)
- Rear output terminals with remote sense
- Min, max, mean, and peak statistics
- USB (USBTMC-compliant) and LAN interfaces supporting SCPI commands
- Overvoltage (OVP), overcurrent (OCP), overtemperature (OTP) protection, and key-lock function